When our week 3 CSA box arrived I was determined to use every bit of the animal – um, I meant vegetable – to the fullest. That meant getting creative with root vegetable greens, the fresh leafy tops from the radishes and carrots in the box. How cool would it be, I thought, to make pesto?
I looked around online and found Chocolate & Zucchini had already pioneered that territory with radish greens alone. I followed the basic proportions of her recipe, improvising mostly by mixing up the greens and doubling up on the garlic. Here’s my version of the recipe; by the way, it’s not only deeply green but gluten free and vegetarian, too:
- - 2 large handfuls fresh radish leaves, thick main stems removed
- - 1 small handful carrot tops, thick main stems removed
- - 1 ounce grated pecorino cheese
- - 1 ounce toasted pine nuts
- - 2 cloves garlic, germ removed, cut in four
- - 3 tablespoons olive oil
- - salt and freshly ground lemon pepper to taste
- Toss all the ingredients in a blender and pulse in short bursts.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and repeat until you have a finely textured paste.
- Spoon out into a glass jar and keep refrigerated.
Don’t wait for pizza night; this deserves to be sampled immediately. This is what we made; a perfectly composed bit of garlicky, savory, salty, chewy, crunchy, and spicy goodness.
Everything is better with prosciutto. And overall, a successful Farm Fresh box. I may get the hang of this yet.
By the way, you will want one of these KitchenAid hand blender/chopper combos to make the whole process easier. Seriously.