Roll up something a little different and healthy with your Turkey Day leftovers this year with this tasty (and pretty) sandwich wrap, a slight variation on the Thanksgiving Celebration wraps I made for Kid Two’s class a few years ago. Spinach adds a nice color contrast and a boost of vitamins, and pumpkin cream cheese is simple to mix up with canned or fresh pumpkin and some spices. Serve with a hot cup of carrot, fennel, and apple soup for a high-vitamin and festive lunch.
I use lavash to make these wraps, a soft, thin flatbread I that originally hails from Turkey. I buy mine at Trader Joe’s! You can substitute flour or rice tortillas if you can’t find packages of lavash; you’ll just need to double the number of tortillas and to slice each wrap into 2 pieces.
All you need to do is assemble your ingredients: the spinach and pumpkin cream cheese, some shredded turkey and leftover cranberry sauce. Layer, roll, and slice!
Here’s the recipe; go ahead and print it for your reference:
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- 4 tbsp canned pumpkin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup cranberry sauce
- 10 ounces cooked turkey breast, shredded
- 2 oz fresh spinach leaves, rinsed and dried thoroughly
- 2 sheets of 9 x 12 lavash or other soft, thin flatbread
- Make your pumpkin cream cheese by mixing whipped cream cheese, pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Assemble the wraps:
- Place one lavosh on a cutting board “portrait-style.”
- Spread half of the pumpkin cream cheese over the lavosh side-to-side and top to bottom.
- Now spread half of the cranberry sauce covering just the bottom ⅔ of the lavosh.
- Place a single layer of spinach leaves over the cranberry sauce.
- Layering 5 ounces of shredded turkey breast thinly over the spinach.
- Finish the wrap:
- Starting at the short end closest to you, lift the lavash and start rolling. Move slowly and roll and tightly as you can.
- The pumpkin cream cheese will act as the "glue" to keep the roll together.
- Slice the wrap into 4 equal slices.
- If not serving immediately, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate.